Monday, May 12, 2008

Walking Among Mere Mortals (Crossfit Cert - Day 2)

Monday, May 12;

I'm so sore that I can barely move. I woke up at my usual time this morning (5:30 am) to head off to Crossfit. Unfortunately, my muscles weren't agreeing with my mind. After a weekend with two solid workouts, some bottom-to-bottom tabata squats and some serious technique work with a PVC pipe I am seriously smoked! I love it.



Yesterday portion was made up of a few sessions and then mostly technique. The morning started out with a Q&A session with the man himself, Greg Glassman. He talked about the origins of Crossfit and his evolution as a trainer into the creator of this program. Some things you may not know.. "Fran" is actually older than I am. She was created back in the 1970's when Coach was trying to figure out a way to kick his own ass. Another thing that I thought was so cool, was the lack of a business plan for Crossfit. It just kind of happened.. the magic was in the passion for something and a whole lot of luck. Coach says much of what makes up Crossfit were ideas from others. The idea for Certifications came from a Government guy who had heard about Crossfit, thought it was a cool program, wanted his guys to do it, and decided he needed to get certified. He called coach up and said he wanted to come to a certification. Up until then there was no such thing. The guy says he's coming out to California, and Coach puts he and a buddy through a few days of serious Crossfit ass whoopings! There you have it.. a Crossfit certification was born. There are similar stories to the creation of the Crossfit Journal and Affiliation process. People expressed a need for service and Coach Glassman was just smart enough, or crazy enough to say "yes."

That's a little bit about how Crossfit was born, but I really felt the impact of this weekend's certification when I got into work this morning. I had a few conversations with non-crossfitters about the cert and Crossfit and the lesson really hit home. I'm walking among mere mortals. It's just about everyone.. their idea of working out is an hour on the treadmill or a 30 trek on the elliptical machine. Even worse, are the guys who think they're in shape after doing back on Monday, shoulders on Tuesday, legs on Wednesday, chest on Thursday, abs on Friday and then throwing back two 12 packs of beer Saturday and Sunday. They don't see the beauty of Crossfit. Imagine working all of your body Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (Saturday and Sunday if you're truly nutso!) and it takes you a max of 45 minutes to do. Most often it only takes you 20 minutes. The serious ass kickers take less than 5 minutes. Why wouldn't everyone want to do this? Coach had a beautiful answer for this. Everyone wouldn't want to do this, because it's hard. It takes a certain kind of person to love to push themselves to the limit. To feel unbelievable pain and not stop. To gas out, but keep going because they don't want the person next to them to finish before they do. These are all of the truly beautiful things about Crossfit and the people who do it.

It was so incredible to spend the entire weekend surrounded by people who love the ideas and the payoffs of Crossfit as much as I do. They speak my same language, they love getting banged up and they really love hitting a personal record. Everyone was inspiring this weekend and I that inspirations comes back with me to CFOT (not the CFOT isn't jammed packed with inspiration everyday!!). I hope you all do it, because it was well worth the money.


Workout:
7 Rounds for time
10 hang power squat cleans w/ dynamax ball
10 burpees (done on knees, check out the sweet bruises!)
Total: 8:53

I'd also like to give a huge high five to Andrea, who was a freaking rockstar coach this weekend. I was so proud to say that we workout together. Of course, we all know Jerry was a super star! It's an honor to hit the gym with both of you every morning. It's my favorite part of the day!!!

11 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome description Adrienne. I love it. Mere mortals. :) I'm glad that you had such a good time at the cert. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to hear Coach speak. :(

Unknown said...

Next time Katie, next time!

keturah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
keturah said...

What about me? Don't I get a shout out for doing the workout in the dust where my nose was literally hitting the floor with those burpees and at the end gasping for air, I felt like the dust had baked a cake in my lungs. After coughing and puffing for about an hour I still went back and did my best time on the 500M row in 2:06min. My beltway gone bad was a flat 14min.

On a serious note, yes it is true. This weekend truly allowed you to appreciate crossfit. Not because you can hit a fran in 2min or your max pull-up is 50, but like the coach say, it's a community with the same mentality and goals who has a passion, a love and an appreciation for crossfit. It's not about the money, it's about the inner burning sensation that comes from deep down in your heart that makes you look feel and talk about it like you've won the lottery.

I also became more aware of how my body is suppose to feel when it is in the perfect active shoulder or tight core. I also have to cut down on the seconds I stay over the bar when I do my pull ups. I am definitely going to put some of those into practice. Some people were mentioning that people think CF is dangerous. My take on that is, how much more dangerous is it than tripping down the stairs in your house and spraining or breaking a bone? I rest my case! That being said, BEWARE, I AM ABOUT TO HIT MY 30 PULL-UP!

Some of the coaches were amazed at my burpees, keetlebell high pull, etc. Of course I gave Jerry all the credit, Super sport and Danny for teaching me the push ups and burpee techniques.

Unknown said...

of course Keturah! You and Mike get many kudos. It wouldn't have been the same without having you there.
:)

Crossfit Old Town did some serious representing!

Jerry Hill said...

what adrienne humbly failed to mention is that she had the fastest womens time in the burpee med-ball circuit!

glad the cert measured up and that you enjoyed the experience!

you rocked it, keturah and mike rocked it - andrea was a freakin superstar coach, no doubt!

Jen said...

Geeesh, I wish I had been there! I missed out!
Glad you all had an awesome time!

georgia said...

Adrienne! The fastest time! Seriously, stop being so humble. That's so awesome! You'd better have called your Mother on your drive home...reason to be even prouder of your kid is a great mother's day gift.

Unknown said...

ha, Georgia.. I think I did call my mom after the cert. She was like, "what's this thing that you're doing?"

Brad said...

Hi Adrianne!

I'm a "Katie's Kult" member. I love your posts about the cert. I attended the Level 1 in Va Bch back in March. I had a lot of similar experiences. Coach Glassman is, indeed, a brilliantly hilarious speaker. All of the team were awesome. We were lucky to get the best from every aspect of Crossfit.

Oh, and it thoroughly kicked my ass!!!!

Adrienne said...

Hey Brad, It's great to have some of Katie's cult members check out my blog. She's hilarious!

The cert was amazing. I could barely move on Monday, but I've been back in the gym the past two days and kicking some ass. Taking a cert may be equivalent to hitting the Zone really hard for two weeks!